- Guess values that might be roots: sub into function until you find an input x value that gives and output value of 0
- Now you have a root write down the related factor: If f(a) = 0 then (x - a) is a factor.
- Divide the cubic by this linear factor to get a quadratic factor.
- Solve the quadratic to get the other 2 linear factor
- Write out the 2 related roots: If (x - a) is a factor then a is a root/solution.
Solving a cubic equation involves the following steps:
Ch.1 Core Revision Q.6
1.4 Q.6 (i)